Thursday, November 17, 2011

Warm All Winter

I finished the top to this quilt ages ago. Sent it to my machine quilter many, many moons ago. Got it back last spring. Like spring of 2010.

SQuiltHanging.jpg
Hanging to dry off of the amazing and wonderful new deck, hence the binder clips so it wouldn’t fall.


I machine-sewed the binding last summer (yes, 2010). It sat around like that for a year.

SQuiltBorder.jpg
I love my machine quilter. She does fantastic work.

A month or two ago, I needed to do some hand sewing to finish the rep weave placemats that are handwoven and currently on my kitchen table. So I kept my hand sewing kit out and buckled down and sewed down the binding on this quilt.

SQuiltSquares.jpg

This is my first time using a wool quilt batting. It also has a flannel back, which makes it unquestionably a winter quilt. The fabrics are the Bali Strips, purchased with a pattern at The Quilt Company. Very simple sewing.

SQuiltBack.jpg

Mother Nature can’t seem to make up her mind about whether or not it is actually winter yet. Add that to the fact that we just insulated our attic, it’s been tough to tell when to change over to the winter bedclothes. But it’s on the bed now, and I’m quite pleased with the finished project.

SQuiltFlat.jpg

Huh. Maybe I should get back to the quilting thing more often!

3 comments:

Donna Lee said...

It's beautiful, a real heirloom. I love the design that your quilter put in. Do you tell her what to do or does she decide for herself?

I wish the weather would make up its mind. I got out all the winter clothes and it's too warm for them.

Sarah said...

Wow. I really have no words. This is so amazingly gorgeous -- from the colors to the quilting, it's just a work of art!

Jenn said...

It's beautiful! I can imagine it brightening a cold winter morning right up!