Monday, August 15, 2011

Oakland Shawl

I’ve had another finished project lurking around this house. I’m finally getting around to blogging it!

OakHannah.jpg

I first saw this shawl in a booth at TNNA in 2010. I fell in love instantly, and had a friend who was vacationing in Massachusetts pick up the required two skeins of Kauni at WEBS. It was another year before I cast on.

OakFold.jpg

The reason I finally made time to pick up this project is that my LYS, Bloomin' Yarns, will be carrying Kauni in the very near future. I have another sample I need to knit, but until then, this shawl is living at the store.

OakRail.jpg

This is a very simple pattern. All garter stitch. I made some incredibly minor adjustments to fit my personal taste. I am anti-yarn over, so I used KFB increases. And I wanted the center spine to match the outer border, so I increased it from one stitch to three stitches. Beyond that, it was all garter stitch all the time. Perfect for the chunk of total exhaustion that followed my ridiculous June.

OakSpine.jpg

The Kauni did all of the work, I just alternated between the rainbow skein and the black and white skein. I did wind up picking up a second skein of the EC (black and white) in order to use the entire skein of the EQ (rainbow). I can guarantee I will have more Kauni projects in my knitting future. I truly enjoyed knitting this shawl!

OakWingspan.jpg

Oakland Shawl

Pattern: Oakland Shawl by Sally Brandl (available on Ravelry)
Yarn: Kauni EQ and EC
Quantity: One skein of EQ, about 1.2 skeins of EC, although all three skeins were marked as 150g
Needles: US 5/3.75mm KnitPicks Options
Started: 14 June 2011
Finished: 16 July 2011
Mods: Replaced yarn overs with a KFB increase.
Changed center spine from a single stitch to three stitches.

5 comments:

mehitabel said...

Looks good! That Kauni is amazing stuff, isn't it? Maybe I need to start a shawl with it too.

Zonda said...

Beautiful colors!!

Jenn said...

The colors are amazing!

Sarah said...

Absolutely love it! I want to make one of my own -- someday. Gotta budget for the Kauni. ;-)

turtlegirl76 said...

Did I mention I'm a month behind on my blog roll? This is gorgeous! Love that center spine.