Friday, August 13, 2010

YPF: Deep Stash

It’s amazing what you can find when you’re a slob, like me, and you do some de-cluttering.

Before vacation, I tackled my knitting baskets in the TV room. The ones just off my left elbow while sitting on the couch in my primary at-home knitting spot. There was a great big surprise at the bottom of one of the two baskets. This:

SchLaurel1.jpg

It’s 1,200 yards of Schaefer Laurel, a 100% mercersized pima cotton. 400 yards and 8 oz per skein with a 4-5 sts/inch suggested gauge. In the “Empress Wu Zhao” colorway. It was one of my very last purchases at the wonderful Beach Knitting, my left coast knitting home, before moving back east. Which means it's been sitting right there for at least three years.

I have no idea what I had planned to make with it, but I swatched three years ago!

SchLaurelSwatch.jpg

The fabric is wonderful and hefty, and I’m thinking it needs to be some sort of pullover. But I figure it’s marinated in the stash this long, why be in a hurry now?

SchLaurel2.jpg

In my California days, a great deal of my knitting was done with cottons and other similar fibers. I will always have a love of cotton, and defend it. Not all cottons are dishcloth cottons! Many are wonderful to work with and don’t hurt your hands. I’m quite certain this will be one of them.

SchLaurel3.jpg

5 comments:

Jenn said...

I love a good cotton. :)

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

I love knitting with cotton, especially mercerized cotton. So smooth and shiny!

Maybe you need something you could wear at the beach, in honor Beach Knitting...a hefty chill chaser.

Zonda said...

Pretty colors, looks good knit up too.

Trillian42 said...

I LOVE Schaefer Laurel! It's beautiful stuff. And that's a great colorway.

turtlegirl76 said...

What an awesome surprise! It's very pretty!