Thursday, October 18, 2007

Seriously Scarf Sity*

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on my hand-wringing on Tuesday. It was appreciated.

Dove I and II are going to the frog pond. The pattern just isn’t playing nicely with the Steelers yarn.

So I’m going to re-skein the yarn and do it again with a different pattern. This is the sock yarn I want to be working on. I’m wondering if the yarn, after its recent adventures will be too “kinky” to re-knit. I don’t want to wind it, wet it and hang it unless I really have to. Anyone with experience like to chime in?

I got a bunch of stuff done today, but didn’t take any pictures and don’t really want to get up and deal with picture-taking in the dark, so please forgive the text-heavy photo-free post.

Among other errands, I stopped at Trax Farms this afternoon and got some Halloween stuff, since they had crap that I liked and it’s all 25% off. Got a cool Jack-o-Lantern for the front door and a tub I’ll use for candy distribution in two weeks. Oh, and some apple cider. I haven’t had apple cider in … well, at least eight years!

Meanwhile, it has morphed into Scarf City (*the “sity” above was just for alliteration purposes, of course) out here. I’ve added three more bands to the Steelers scarf and will most likely work on that for the remainder of tonight’s baseball game. How long will it be? Well, I don’t think it’s long enough at its current 56” length. The plan is to knit until I run out of yarn, a la Jen's Lady E, and re-evaluate.

I’ve also been working a good bit on the Jaywalker Scarf. It is now about 14” long and it will certainly be the project that goes with me to the Pitt game on Saturday. Very small/portable and repetitive enough that I don’t have to pay much attention to it.

Oh, and I got some Yummy worsted weight yarn to do it all over again. :)

My old boss called today. There is no question that moving home was the right move, but I miss the high-energy environment of my career. And ooohhhh boy, do I miss my friends.

I’m quite lucky to have found the Hurricane Knitters. But I don’t have any quilty buddies out here yet. I signed my mom and I up for a class at the most convenient quilt store to where we live. I’m hoping for the best, but I just don’t get a good vibe from that place. There is no question that I will continue to buy fabric there. They have a good selection and a large amount of stock. But a Bearly-type hang out? I’m not gonna say for sure before this class and maybe a second class (that’s on a weekend or evening), but I dunno. I'm not hopeful.

So when Marc called, I had an attack of homesickness for the people back in LA. With one exception, I really liked everyone I worked with on “our hallway” at UCLA, and I miss them. And oh boy, do I ever miss my quilting buddies. But Sandy and her daughter are in Charleston (W.Va.) right this very minute, and I’ll see them at some point next week. Hooray!

Sorry again for the photo-free post. I’ll try to get back on the horse tomorrow, around the Costco field trip, laundry and some critical house-weeding tasks. And I wondered how my mother could be sooo busy once she retired. HA! Joke is on me!

3 comments:

turtlegirl76 said...

Do you have a ballwinder to frog the socks back onto? It might not be so bad. I don't know. You'll have to wind it up and see, but I think you'll be ok to just start knitting again.

Sarah said...

I haven't actually knit with Claudia's, so I can't give you any advice on whether it'll need to be washed before it's reknit. But for what it's worth, I think frogging was the right move. We could all tell how frustrated you were with the Dove socks the other night, and it's my opinion that if you're that frustrated with a sock while you're knitting it, you won't be happy wearing it when it's done. I think it's like the bad knitting karma gets into it. The yarn is beautiful, and I'm sure you'll find a worthy pattern for it!

floribunda said...

I keep hearing about bamboo yarn but I haven't actually touched any yet... guess I need to look for it at the shop when I'm there for my sock class next week! I like the idea of bamboo socks...