Friday, March 28, 2008

YPF: Farmhouse Edition

Yes, I know that the traditional YPF features just one yarn. But who says you have to be traditional?

I first heard of Farmhouse yarns when Melissa was knitting away with some Bo Peep’s at Hurricane Knitters back in January. Then, while we were setting up the Bloomin Yarns booth at the Pittsburgh Knit & Crochet Festival, we had two cubbys worth of amazing worsted weight sweater-worthy yarn that I am still drooling over (Mary's Little Lamb Light Worsted).

And at that point, I hadn’t even met their fingering weight yarn!

First off, we’ll meet the two Bo Peep’s Sock Yarn that had to come home with me. First, the one I forgot to photograph before I wound it and started knitting


It’s the storm colorway. Bo Peep’s is 75% Merino, 25% Nylon. They suggest a US 1-2 needle to get 7-8 sts/inch. I had to get one more, though.


This is the Old Glory colorway. 450 yards/5.4 ounces. Machine wash gentle, cool. Tumble dry low heat.


I will use this yarn. It makes a nice thick sock and it goes quickly since I knit it on either a US 2.5 or a US 3 needle. But it feels to be the same weight as the Fiesta Boomerang, and given a choice, I’d pick the hand of the Boomerang every single time.

However, that is absolutely not the case with Farmhouse’s fingering weight line!


That’s the Farmhouse Fannie’s Fingering Weight, also in the Old Glory colorway.


Strangely, it is listed at the same gauge as the Bo Peep’s, but there’s no way it should be. It’s a significantly thinner yarn, but the hand? WOW. Very soft and yummy


400 yards, 4 ounces, 80% merino, 20% nylon. And boy-oh-boy is it soft!

I also caved in and bought a hank of their Rainforest colorway that was part of the St. Paddy’s Day display at Bloomin’ Yarns


Yeah. It’s nice. Me likey.

As great as the yarn is on the Fingering weight, I would highly recommend purchasing this yarn in person rather than via some of my favorite online pushers like The Loopy Ewe. You can put 2-3 skeins of the same colorway together on a table and they’ll look totally different. If this yarn has you interested, I’d say find a local retailer and dig through their stock. Bloomin’ Yarns, for instance, has a big ‘ol basket of just Fannie’s Fingering Weight with multiple hanks of each colorway.

And, the fearless leader from Farmhouse will be at Bloomin’ Yarns next week for their big anniversary hoo-hah. Come stop by!

On a side note, the weather was actually nice on Wednesday. What the hell happened since then? I'm cold again! Oh well. Have a great weekend!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Oooh, like those greens! Not that I need anymore sock yarn ...

Yvonne said...

omg. now I have more reason than ever to visit bloomin' yarns. that stuff looks SO cool.

Downtown Dancing Knitter said...

The Farmhouse Fannie’s Fingering Weight--- so pretty!! And that sock yarn in Rainforest colorway, I'M SO JEALOUS!!! I was totally looking at that, and you just took it away, haha :)

turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh that's all such pretty stuff!

Jess said...

I was totally drooling over that Rain forest colorway. I heart green!

Molly Bee said...

OMG! What beautiful drenched colors. Eye Candy!