Friday, December 16, 2011

Haven’t You Always Wanted a Monkey?

Monkeys are very silly creatures. With long arms and legs, they can hang around pretty much anywhere they want

MonkeyUpsideDown.jpg

I first met this particular monkey's cousin when my knitting group friend Heather made one of her own. It was stolen by her daughter, who is a day younger than my niece.

I figured that hit my target demographic for a Christmas gift.

MonkeyFace.jpg

I pulled some Vintage Chunky on a Saturday at the store. Started knitting on Sunday. Put all the pieces together on Friday. Boom. Gift finished.

MonkeyBack.jpg

By the time I was finished with arms, legs and the tail, all very narrow tubes, I was kind of over it, but the results are so cute, who could really argue?

MonkeyEar.jpg

There’s a reason that DangerCrafts patterns are so popular. Rebecca is very attentive to detail. I love the monkey ears. It took a bit of work to find safety eyes at my local JoAnn’s (several “you want WHAT?” looks from store employees), but I did eventually find them and got them attached fairly evenly.

The mouth is a bit funky, but I decided that just added personality.

On Heather’s advice, I stuffed the ever-living crap out of this toy. I don’t think any more fluff would fit in there.

MonkeyHang.jpg

This monkey was fun to knit, and makes me happy that I purchased Rebecca Danger’s book last summer. I’m sure I’ll be knitting more DangerCrafts beings in the future.

MonkeyFront.jpg

Jerry, the Musical Monkey

Pattern: Jerry the Musical Monkey by Rebecca Danger
Yarn: Berroco Vintage Chunky
Color: Aster and Petunia
Quantity: 1 skein of each
Needles: US 7/4.5mm KnitPicks Options. Used both 40” and 32” cables.
Started: 4 December 2011
Finished: 9 December 2011
Mods: Inadvertently knit the legs a little skinny. By 2 stitches. No biggie. Also did mirrored decreases instead of all K2TOGs. That was on purpose (once I decided to do it, mid-noggin)

Bonus points to anyone who can identify the source of this blog post title/headline

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Soooooo cuuuuute! If your niece doesn't like it, he can always come live with me!

Jenn said...

I love it! I've been wanting to make a Rebecca Danger toy for some time, this makes me really want to!

Angi said...

If I had a million dollars, I would buy you some art - a Picasso or a Garfunkel