Thursday, July 17, 2008

It’s a Jungle Out There!

Especially when you’re talking about my yard. :-(

You see, the previous owners included an inhabitant with a green thumb who was reired (aka my Mother). So when we moved in, there were very large plantings across the front of the house that required a goodly chunk of maintenance and digging in the dirt. (there’s a “before” picture in this post. I don’t have a more recent one handy. Sorry!)

Last summer, my mom’s “housewarming” gift to us was to clear out some of the stuff in the yard. The Hubster and I are most certainly not green thumbs. I have enough quilting and knitting projects on my hands. I don’t have any interest in doing big-time yard work. Crap, we pay the kid next door to mow our lawn! And we all remember Leaf Wars 2007/8. ::shudder::

We never managed to get the landscaping finished last fall. The “why” is a long, annoying story. We were promised that we’d be “first on the list” come spring. When it got to be June and we still hadn’t heard from the guy, I called and got the “oh boy, rain has been killing us” story. Believable, but still annoying.

But at this very moment, 8:40 am on Thursday, July 17, I’m watching the landscaper’s crew unload in front of my house. They’re gonna turn this jungle


Into something that’s much more presentable (yes, he’s going to get rid of the now waist-high weeds) and low-maintenance. We’re keeping some of the stuff that will look pretty in the spring, but he’s going to trim that ginormous tree in front a little bit, move some of the existing greenery around, put some new easy-care stuff in, mulch and leave us with a yard that isn’t the skanky, un-maintained yarn on the street. Whew!

I’m looking forward to having this finished. If I can be efficient work-wise today, I can take tomorrow a little easy and really enjoy my weekend.

Oh, and the cleaning crew is coming to handle the inside today as well. It's a busy day here!

Happy Thursday, everyone!

7 comments:

Jenn said...

I need to go work outside but by the time I got back from walking the dog, it was already stinking hot! Our yard makes yours look like Phipps Conservatory. We don't even really have a front yard, per se, but there is this little viney bastard that takes over everything in the summer.

Oh well, tomorrow is another (hot and humid) day.

Jess said...

Wow, it looks great now, I can't imagine what its gonna look like when annoying landscapers are done.
I'm jealous!

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous, too. Our mower is broken and we need to do landscaping. I trimmed back the rhodie bushes and holy cow they look sick now!!

Sarah said...

A couple weekends ago, we spent an entire day weeding -- only to discover we forgot an entire side of the house. Oops. Must be nice to have someone else do it for a change!

Daniele said...

I can't wait to see how the yard turns out! I used to be into gardening, but have scaled back considerably to all things IN the house... Fortunately I live in the middle of the country where weeds seem to be the norm!

Daniele aka mscreate.typepad.com
ravelry - landapugs

mehitabel said...

When they finish your yard, can you send them over to mine? Between the drought and the work we had done, the grass isn't even covering up the dead square where the Porta-Potty sat. Talk about your lawn ornaments...

Donna Lee said...

We are looking for some bedding plants to replace the dead ones in the front yard. It's too hot to even think about working in the yard. I'm trying to get the cleaning done and the grocery shopping and laundry today so I can just sit and "enjoy" the summer weather tomorrow.