Monday, July 14, 2008

Weekend Recap

So the Hubster and I stayed in town this past weekend instead of going up to the Lake. This meant that I got to go to the Borders knitting group that meets every other Wednesday at the Borders closest to my house. Heather, LaurieG and Celtic Queen were there, among others. We stayed until close (11 pm!) and had fun.

While at Knit Night, I executed an equipment change for the Tour de France KAL. I had planned to knit Green Gable but switched to Sprout after visiting Bloomin’ Yarns last Thursday. The store is having a KAL on that sweater and Michelle was crafty enough to suck me in with some Dream in Color Classy. Aside from some crocking issues (turned my brand new KA interchangeable set blue. Booo!), it’s zipping right along and is quite a bit of fun! Updates on that tomorrow, in honor of the Rest Day at the TDF. Yeah, I probably should have done the update in honor of Bastille Day, but then the weekend stuff would be really extra-boring, right?

I wound up working at Bloomin’ on Saturday, then the Hubster and I went to Outback in honor of our anniversary. Five years. Hard to believe it’s been that long!

On Sunday, we started to execute our plan of playing tourist in our own town. Since it’s a limited-time exhibit, we decided to go see the Titanic exhibit at the Carnegie Science Center


Who knew that Captain Smith had a Pittsburgh phone number?

We got in there and it reminded me of the King Tut exhibit I saw in Los Angeles many years ago. Lots of kids and it was tough to get close enough to any of the artifacts to read the cards. But that part turned out to not really be a problem.

But still, we agreed that it really wasn’t worth the $20 they were charging. I know I read everything there and looked at every artifact. We were still through the whole thing in less than two hours. It was OK, but wasn’t worth that hefty price tag. Heather? I'm talkin' to you! :-)

Bye!

Since it wasn’t even 1 pm yet, we headed over to the Strip District. We pondered going straight into the Heinz History Center, but then decided we were both hungry. After enjoying some yummy sandwiches at Primanti Brothers, we started back towards the History Center but then decided that we could do that another day and that we (me) were a little tired and home was a better idea.

After sitting and knitting on Sprout for a bit, I got a bit of a bee in my bonnet.


And baked batches of two different kinds of cookies. My standard chocolate chip and a new favorite, Oatmeal Scotchies. It was a new recipe for me, but I really like the result! Since there are just two of us in this house and we finished with nearly 70 cookies, that combined rubbermaid on the right is going next door to Sidney's family.

Oh, and we had bratwurst for dinner and for me (and just me, not the hubster), bratwurst requires onions. Thanks to reading Pioneer Woman Cooks, I managed to successfully and easily dice an onion by hand for the first time … ever. Thanks, Ree!


So that’s about it. I have the heel turned on my first Black Bigfoot sock and will be on the second sock before I know it. Sprout is nearly to the end of the first skein of Classy. It’s much fun. But for now? Off to bed so I can wake up and sweat tomorrow morning!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

It's so hard to resist the Classy, isn't it?

Thanks for the tip on the Titanic exhibit. I was slightly intrigued, but having heard your review, I think I'll spend my 20 bucks on something else.

Jen said...

Sounds like a fun weekend!

The Dream in Color does just suck you in, doesn't it? :)

LaurieG said...

Oatmeal Scotchies are great, BUT oatmeal cookies with cinnamon chips. MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm.

Celtic Queen said...

Oatmeal Scotchies are my favorite. If you like those, I should share my ChocOat Chip cookies. It's like having chocolate chip and oatmeal scotchies at the same time.