Thursday, February 09, 2012

Sweet Tomato Foot Ovens

This is probably the fastest pair of socks I’ve ever knit.

STFOfeet.jpg

After reading the Yarn Harlot’s Foot Oven post during the Christmas season, I thought they sounded like a great idea. I started as “directed,” starting with 8 sts/needle via Judy’s Magic Cast-On, increasing up to 32 sts. Note for my next pair: 32 is a little thin. I’m thinking 36 is a better number for me with this yarn.

STFOtoes.jpg
toe pic!

Yeah, I know I don’t like standard toes. But these were so quick they hardly had time to irk.

Stephanie’s Foot Oven recipe sounded great, except for one thing. I can’t stand short-row heels. I don’t like the fit, and I don’t like the process of knitting them. So I made some adjustments!

As you know, I’m quite the Cat Bordhi disciple. She published a great new e-book last fall, for her new Sweet Tomato Heel. I figured this was a perfect time to try it out!

STFOheels.jpg

As I chugged along on my first STH wedge, the thought did cross my mind that this would be a little easier if I’d used the light blue yarn on the heels. But it was fine. The fit is not perfect (they are a little too snug at the navy stripe across the instep at the hinge of my ankle), probably because my midfoot number was a little thin for my feet. I thought about tinking and expanding, but these socks were so fast I figured it wasn’t worth the time. I’ll leave this pair at the Lake, where they will be rarely worn.

The execution of this heel, in my opinion, is simple and elegant. And it’s a perfect 1::1 sub for a short row heel. Highly recommend, and I’ll use it again in the future.

Per the Foot Ovens recipe, post-heel-turn, I simply knit with my “main color” yarn until I ran out. I divided the skein in half by weight before I started, so it was easy to know when to stop. Then I changed to the navy and knit 12 rounds of 2x2 ribbing. Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-Off, and boom. I was done.

STFOcuffs.jpg

As promised, I sat back and marveled at how quickly I had a pair of socks. Basically three knitting sessions and I was done. And yeah, I’ll make this recipe combo again. Probably in the same color scheme, since I have one more skein of the light blue!

STFOblockers.jpg

Sweet Tomato Foot Ovens

Pattern: A hybrid of the Yarn Harlot’s Foot Ovens recipe
and Cat Bordhi’s (basic) Sweet Tomato Heel
Yarn: Cascade Baby Alpaca Chunky
Colors: Light Blue and Navy
Quantity: 1 full skein light blue, roughly 52% of the Navy skein.
Started: 31 January 2012
Finished: 6 February 2012
Mods: It’s a hybrid of two recipes, so yes.

3 comments:

Donna Lee said...

It looks like that heel has a seam in the middle. Wouldn't that be uncomfortable? I will admit that Ms Bordhi is a genius when it comes to sock architecture.

Sarah said...

I'm not sure if anything is better than a pair of superfast socks -- maybe superfast luxurious socks! Hope they keep your feet toasty warm!

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Wow, even faster than my 40 st Relentlessly Cheeryl sox in orange Malabrigo Worsted! Congrats; they look great.