Friday, January 04, 2013

New Pauley

In early November, I was lucky enough to be able to venture back to my old stomping grounds at UCLA for the re-opening of Pauley Pavilion after an 18-month, $130M+ renovation. And a 40th Anniversary Title IX celebration.

I got to see a lot of friends, former co-workers and some family. Most of what I did and saw wouldn’t be terribly exciting to people who aren’t me, but I did take a bunch of photos of shiny New Pauley.

After flying out to the left coast on a Thursday, I got a good night’s sleep at my aunt’s house, then spent the day on Friday visiting my old haunts around campus. Then I made sure I was at the Pauley entrance in time for the ticket ceremony.

Untitled

The Chancellor, Athletic Director, Matt Pauley, and a number of other dignitaries were first to enter the renovated building. While we were waiting, classic games in Pauley Pavilion history were shown against the new façade of the building above the shiny podium.

I wrote about the ticket ceremony HERE. Most of what I could see of the pre-game ceremonies was the scoreboard, but I wrote about it all HERE
 
Untitled
 
I wrote two other stories on my trip (HERE about the Title IX ceremonies, HERE about UCLA’s head women’s basketball coach if you’re interested), but mostly it was just awesome to be back out in Los Angeles on a weekend when I could see so many of the people who made my eight years as a Bruins awesome. 
CoachWooden.jpg
 
If you want to see more of my New Pauley photos, I have a small photoset on Flickr, HERE.

Untitled

1 comment:

Donna Lee said...

You have been so busy! I've never been further west than Wisconsin. One day I'll make it out to the west coast but probably more to the north.

I'm not a very good traveller (motion sickness is NOT my friend).