Friday, March 09, 2007

Recovery Mode

It has been a long time since I last posted. Sorry about that. Life has been kicking my ass.

Last weekend, I spent a ridiculous chunk of my life at the softball field. On Saturday morning, Roaming Tigger (RT) decided he needed a glamour shot of his own self with the field in the background.

Later in the day, we had a very special Softball Skybox appearance by the local fire department. They parked in the fire lane in left field between the scoreboard and the fair pole. Hey, if anyone can block the fire lane .... may as well be an engine!

After watching 12 softball games over a three-day stretch, I started a marathon cross-country trip. The athletic department at Thomas Jefferson's University wanted to interview me for a job opening. That particular university is a place I've always wanted to work. And it's the most beautiful college I have ever visited, although I didn't really see any of the academic areas on this particular trip. Added bonus? 4.5 hour drive to see my family instead of a 4.5 hour flight.

So I was on a 6:30 am flight through Atlanta on Monday morning. That means I was up at 3:30 am PT and at LAX a little before 5. Got to my destination around 5 pm ET. Got a brief driving real estate tour, then dinner with the person making the hire.

RT decided to boycott said university and did not get his photo taken with any local landmarks. In hindsight, probably a good decision.

Of course, with the time change, I couldn't get to sleep until probably about 10:30 pm ET. Up at 6:30 am ET on Tuesday since my first meeting was a 7:30 am pick-up. What followed was a series of meetings and other interview-type stuff that finished when I was dropped off at the airport at about 3 for a 5 pm flight.

I totally couldn't sleep on the flights home. Killed my 3+ hour layover in Atlanta by talking to friends and family and reading mindless stuff. Still, when I got home and passed out, it was about 12:30 am PT, so I had been awake for 22 consecutive hours.

I had a road game on Wednesday at 6 pm PT. At 5:15, my phone rang and it was the person making the hire. They hired a graduate assistant over someone who has been full-time in this business for more than 10 years. Stupid bastards.

I'm hanging my hat on the fact that somewhere over middle America on the flight from Atlanta to LAX, I had several moments of Panic. It had nothing to do with flying, and everything to do with "something wasn't right on this trip." I still don't know what caused that, but I worked pretty hard to ignore that feeling and I know I would have ignored it entirely had I been offered the job. That probably means that this outcome is for the best.

Craft-wise, I've been doing more un-knitting than knitting. I have my second KnitPicks Slipper Sock past the heel and ready for some serious brainless work. My toe-up sock is in a similar state, rapidly approaching the heel turn.

I had my (brown) cable sweater almost through the first 33-row repeat when I realized that I had seriously screwed up the center cable multiple times. It has been frogged and this morning I cast it on again and I'm through the set-up row and first row of cabling.

I'll take some knitting photos in the next few days, and i'm seriously hoping I can get inspired to embroider two quilt labels in the next few days. Photos and apology letter to follow if I can actually get that pulled off.

Thanks for listening to me whine. To all of my local quilty friends, I hope to see you at the Glendale Quilt Show next weekend (anybody know what's up with those goofy hours on Friday?). I need some fiber therapy in a big way, and the Koigu I bought yesterday at Wildfiber ain't gonna cut it all by itself!

No comments: