Tuesday, April 17, 2007

RT Does Eugene

Roaming Tigger and I had fun in Oregon last weekend. We stayed in my very favorite hotel. Why is it my favorite? Let me count the ways.

Let's start in the lobby. Now really. How many hotels have an 84" saw blade in the lobby? How freakin cool is that? Remember, this is Oregon and the lumber industry is a big deal.

So this is the other reason I love the VRI. There's a kick-ass paved trail along the Willamette river just a few feet outside the door of the hotel.

RT and I tried to take a walk after Saturday's game, but we got about 400 feet away from where these shots were taken and the skies just ... opened. A super cold rain. We wussed out and went back to the hotel room, waited for it to slow down a bit, then went over to the mall across the parking lot. No sales tax in Oregon. Woo-Hoo!

On Sunday, RT and I took a walk just before the game. The bathrooms for UO's softball field are in "Mac Court" one of the amazing old gyms still in use. Wood flooring. Wood seats. Balconies that are right on top of the court. Really cool.

From what I understand, when they get a full house for a men's basketball game, the gym literally MOVES. It was built in 1926. They are gonna replace it soon, and that will really be a shame.

After we got our pre-game duties completed, we took a walk around the block. First, we walked down to Hayward Field, which is the coolest place you could see a track meet. I went to the 1996 NCAA Championships at this venue and it just blew me away. If you are a fan of sports in general, put a meet at Hayward on your life's to-do list. Stay for the distance races. You won't be sorry.

The 2008 U.S. Olympic Trials will be at Hayward. So will the 2010 NCAA Championsips. Go.

Across the street from Hayward is UO's School of Law. Cool looking building, and since it was the only academic location on the route, we took a photo op.

But the coolest thing was just out in front of the law school.

We had fun in Eugene. Bay Area this weekend. Almost done with the 2nd sock. Woo-Hoo! :)

wound care
Lisa asked about my wound. Two weeks ago, I was shagging for the early hitters at practice (they hit, I collect all of the balls in the outfield so that when they've hit their three buckets of balls, the next kid can get started faster) when a ball glanced off of my glove and nailed my right shin.

It started out as just two very small softball seam-sized cuts. About two days later, it became obvious that the darn thing just wasn't healing. Over the weekend, I started reacting to the glue on the band-aids I'd been using for 10 days, 24/7. Now the entire "red area" is about 1.75" wide and 1" high. It's not infected, so it's just gross, not scary and gross. I have my marching orders on how to take care of this thing, and have an appointment with a wound care specialist early on Monday morning. I'll be fine. I promise! (and it isn't affecting my knitting at all!)

No comments: