Sunday, October 21, 2007

Crash!!

I broke a dinner plate tonight. I realize that this is not a major upset in the state of the universe, but it is notable simply because this is the dinnerware that we registered for as a wedding gift and my Aunt Melissa (and her family) got us the entire set of 12.

My inclination is to ask for a few Crate & Barrel gift certificates for Christmas (from certain relatives who tend to get us junk if we don’t get specific with requests), then use whatever we get to replace the broken plate, get a spare, and finish out whatever else we need to have 12 full place-settings.

Hubster thinks this is overkill. Opinions? [NOTE: Why the crap don't we have a C&B anywhere near here? Bummer.]

In other news, we both had fun watching a very bad football game with a surprising outcome yesterday. I had fun spotting for the play-by-play announcer. Two bad parts: 1. I never caught up with the person at Pitt who has been avoiding me since July (It’s a public blog. That’s all I have to say about that). 2. I started getting a headache with about five minutes to go in the fourth quarter.

I hadn’t been particularly hungry all day, and as a result had eaten very little. I also wasn’t hydrating as well as I should have, primarily because I knew I had two consecutive 90-120 minute stretches where bathroom breaks were totally out of the question. Between these two factors, I think I may have had the first migraine headache of my life. As this is not a normal state for me, I tried to eat a normal dinner, thinking that food would help. Nope. Had plenty of leftovers for today, though.

A good nap and an “early” bedtime killed the thing, and I was fine today for our Costco trip and continued house organization.

I promised pictures, right? Now I’m not trying to give Pioneer Woman Cooks! a run for her money, but here’s my little recipe contribution to blogland.

Meet my famous Dill Weed Dip!


This is possibly the easiest recipe ever, and can be whipped up quickly whenever you might have veggies or chips that are feeling lonely.

1 cup mayonnaise (Miracle Whip works fine too)
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp parsley flakes
1 tsp dill weed
1 tsp seasoned salt

The recipe actually also calls for 1 Tbsp finely chopped green onions, but I’ve been making this recipe since I was a schmoo, and I don’t ever remember including that ingredient.

Mix it all up and enjoy! The flavor comes from the spices, so it’s not a big deal to go “healthier” on the mayo and sour cream.

In other news, I’m moving along on the latest incarnation of the Steelers sock yarn. I decided to morph the “Jeweled Steps” from New Pathways into the master pattern, rather than try to make a decision between the 8” midfoot and the 9” midfoot when my actual foot is 8.5” at midfoot.

Of course, I remembered my gauge as 8/inch and used that number. In reality? 9/inch. I’m almost to where I’d start arch expansion and it’s still feeling a little loose, but I’m reminding myself how small Dove was, and also reminding myself that if these master numbers are correct, 62 stitches should be plenty few at 9/inch to go around my 8.5” foot (and ankle) snugly. Right? RIGHT!!!

No pics of the sock since, well, it’s just the toe of a sock and it’s pretty damn boring.

I’m off to watch a football (Steelers-Broncos) and baseball (ALCS G7) game simultaneously. Hope you had a good weekend!

2 comments:

floribunda said...

we have the same dishes, but without the blue trim! bought them a few years ago for our 13th anniversary (we like to celebrate the prime numbers...)

Anonymous said...

I am going to have to try that dill weed dip, Amy! It sounds delicious.