Thursday, November 20, 2008

Incredible Shrinking Barts

My favorite boss threw me a loop less than an hour before I had to leave for tonight’s game and it threw me off in a bigger way than I expected. Like a big fat idiot, I forgot to bring the power cord for my laptop. So this will be a little shorter than normal, m’kay?

Meet the Incredible Shrinking Bartholomews. A marriage between the Incredible Shrinking Violet Socks that Rock yarn that was the May Rockin’ Sock Club shipment this year, and a rerun of my first-ever New Pathways socks, Bartholomew’s Tantalizing Socks.


Check out those Turtle Daddy sock blockers!

I did some very small mods from the beginning on these socks. I made the cuffs a little longer, a mod that I would come to regret. Sorry we have no on-the-hoof photos. Time and weather were conspiring against me.


This time around, my increased familiarity with Cat’s socks allowed me to correctly execute the reinforced heel. See all that cushy stuff right under the heel? I’m looking forward to feeling that extra cushion on my feet.


I did the Star Toe as instructed. It’s not my favorite, but it’s perfectly serviceable. I’m quite happy with this finished pair of socks!


Incredible Shrinking Barts

Pattern: Bartholomew’s Tantalizing Socks from New Pathways for Sock Knitters
Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock Lightweight
Color: Incredible Shrinking Violet (May 2008 Rockin’ Sock Club)
Needles: US 2/2.75 mm for cuffs. US1/2.5 mm for remainder of sock
Sock Size: US Women’s 8.5 (for me … 8.5” circumference/9.5” length)
Started: 1 October 2008
Finished: 10 November 2008
Mods: Made cuffs a little longer
Special Thanks: Turtlegirl76 totally saved the day on these socks.


She generously offered some of her ISV when I got to the heel of my first sock and thought I had a problem. I got to the end of the first sock and had about a 10-gram difference between the finished sock and remaining yarn … in the wrong direction.

So thanks very much, Cristi. I would not have been able to finish these socks without your help!

7 comments:

Jenn said...

I love that colorway!

Sarah said...

They look great! I'm glad you were able to find some extra yarn to finish.

turtlegirl76 said...

You are more than welcome! Your socks look awesome!

Margy said...

Love the color and they looks so compfy! I'm sure you enjoyed the game last night..

Daniele said...

Love them. A work of art!! :)

Donna Lee said...

When the Christmas knitting is over and my family all have a new pair of socks in their stockings ( a goal I have almost achieved), I am going to pull out my book and try some of Cat's socks. You make them looks so easy.

LaurieG said...

I'm putting New Pathways on my Christmas wish list! Star toes are my faves -- I reverse the decreasing (ssk) on the second sock to get a spiral in the other direction. Makes my socks left and right oriented. And I think I have star shaped toes. :)