Saturday, May 08, 2010

How Many Months …

… does it take to finish a pair of socks? In this case the answer is, apparently, FIVE. This may be a new record for me. I swear, it didn’t even take me this log to finish my first few pairs!

Full disclosure, I did knit an entire different pair of socks while these were in progress. Those were the Holiday Holidazed I knit for my sister-in-law for Christmas. But yeah. These socks were in progress for.ev.er.

Gumdrops.jpg

I got this yarn and pattern from the July 2008 Rockin’ Sock Club. When I opened the package, I probably literally said “Crap. Pastels.” But I decided I was intrigued a bit by the Gumdrops pattern and the colors were just strong enough that I wasn't going to loathe them.

GumdropHeels.jpg
Cat Bordhi Riverbed architecture. Arch increases on the sole of the foot, New Pathways heel.

Then I saw Cristi’s Gumdrop Socks that she did for her sister. Toe-up, Riverbed, and she loved them. So I figured I’d take a hack.

GumdropLeg.jpg

Cristi got to put up with me while I brain-farted my way through getting started on the pattern. Fortunately, Teh Stoopid didn’t win and I was off to the races. Think Tortoise, not Hare.

This pair got bumped back up to the top of the rotation when I decided that Pavillion was inappropriate travel knitting for the Mississippi trip. Fortunately, they have rekindled my sock knitting mojo.

GumdropToes.jpg
Toe pic!

There is certainly a rhythm to knitting this pattern. I may knit them again, someday.

GumdropPair.jpg

Gumdrop Socks

Pattern: Gumdrop Socks by JC Briar (July 2008 Rockin’ Sock Club)
Yarn: Socks that Rock Lightweight, Goody Goody
Needles: US 1.5/2.5mm Hiya Hiya 16” circs
Started: 4 November 2009
Finished: 30 April 2010
Mods: Knit toe-up in Cat Bordhi’s Riverbed architecture from New Pathways for Sock Knitters. Assist from Cristi/Turtlegirl76 for her toe-up chart.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Love them! The pastels aren't really my colors, either, but I pull my socks out pretty frequently just because I really like the pattern.

Molly Bee said...

Gorgeous! Love the patterning on the leg!

Donna Lee said...

I love the pattern (pastels don't float my boat either but it sure looks good in that pattern)

turtlegirl76 said...

Yay! They're finally done! They look fantastic. I need to get my own pair knit up.