Monday, May 24, 2010

Scylla Socks

My sock mojo is back. Hooray!

The yarn for these socks (and the pattern) took a little plane trip to Mississippi with me before they got started in the car on my way to Maryland Sheep & Wool on May 1.


I didn’t think my favorite toe (garter toe) would work well with this pattern, so the standard toe it was.

Toe pic!

As with the previous slip-stitch patterns I’ve done, the biggest challenge was judging where to start my Riverbed arch expansion. The instep and sole grow at drastically different rates, so I essentially measured to the middle. “Split the difference,” I’d say.


Riverbed heel. I did the foot over 66 stitches and the leg over 68, as it required a multiple of four. Easy peasy.


Looking at the pictures, I can’t believe how perfectly these socks match. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this level of matchy-ness in a variegated yarn. Neato!


Scylla Socks

Pattern: Scylla Socks by Fiona Lucas
Yarn: Socks that Rock Lightweight in Metamorphic
Needles: US 1.5/2.5mm Hiya Hiya 16” circs
Started: 1 May 2010
Finished: 24 May 2010
Mods: Stitch pattern plugged into Cat Bordhi’s Riverbed architectures from New Pathways for Sock Knitters.


Bezzie said...

Those slip stitch patterns seem to be all the rage for varigated yarns. This one doesn't miss the mark! Very nice!

ChristyH said...

I really like them and you did a great job on them.

Amanda said...


SJ said...

Love them! I'm really amazed by how well they do match -- you should totally say that you planned them that way!

Zonda said...

Pretty colors! Yay for sock mojo returning ;)