Monday, October 18, 2010

Rufus

I have a finished project to show you, but I’m just not in the mood to write that post today. Why? I’ll tell you.

As my friend Jenn and her husband, “The MWP,” concluded their vacation last week, they both posted Facebook status updates that their WonderDog, Rufus, wasn’t feeling great.

You can read the rest here. And here. Go ahead. I'll wait.

I started reading Jenn's Weirdy Pants blog before I moved back to Pittsburgh, and Jenn is a fellow Hurricane Knitter – a group of (nearly all of) my closest friends in the ‘Burgh. She’s the friend who joined me for the “big adventure” in Youngstown last May.

Shortly after I started working at Bloomin’ Yarns, Jenn came out to the store (the old one, in the cute house with terrible parking and access), which was nice. What was awesome was that she brought Rufus and I was able to finally meet him! Despite being a very large dog, it was instantly obvious that Rufus understood his size and was cool with anyone who was willing to scratch the brown spot on his butt.

When I woke up on the morning of August 9, 2008, to the news that dear friends had been critically wounded in Beijing, I was scheduled to pick up Jenn to go to SJ’s house for a Hurricane Knitters day.

I was (very, very) late. Jenn understood. And she encouraged being even later than we already were, because she invited me inside so I could get some dog time. Rufus knew something was wrong, and he was happy to sit with me and let me enjoy having a (rented) dog to love for a few minutes.

In case you haven’t figured it out yet, Rufus is a special dog. Jenn has great stories and pictures about him here on her blog. I am hoping that radiation kicks that tumor’s ass and that Jenn and the MWP get as much quality time with Rufus as they possibly can.

Feel better, Roo! We’re all cheering for you!

2 comments:

The MWP said...

Thank you for writing this wonderful entry about Roo! He is such a special dog and the outpouring of love that we have gotten from all of our family and friends through this trying time cannot be measured in words. We know that we have some really good days and some really bad days ahead, but with friends and family around us, it will make those times easier for us to cope with. Thank you A!

elementalfibers said...

Awww, Rufus! Stand tall, buddy! I understand (actually, I literally understand) and hope you have uncountable happy romps to come with your humans.