Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Paging Dr. Kevorkian

Rather than running for public office, the Doc should perhaps visit my laundry room.

When we bought this house, it had two refrigerators. One in the kitchen, the other in the laundry room.


This is the laundry room fridge. It was the kitchen fridge before my mom remodeled the kitchen in 1996. And it’s old.

In fact, it’s on its last legs. About two weeks ago, I noticed that a previously frozen-solid loaf of bread was “squishy” when I took something else out of the downstairs freezer. My secret stash of ice cream (it lives downstairs. It's less tempting that way.) was soft, but still frozen.

I moved the “really must stay frozen” stuff upstairs, but most of the other stuff was OK down there, as it was probably hovering around 35 degrees. It all came upstairs on Sunday night when pretty much nothing was still frozen solid

Now? It’s probably about 38-40 degrees, and the refrigerator portion of the program isn’t all that cold either.

We can’t really afford to replace the thing right now, and it’s probably not worth it to try to get it fixed. It’s old. How old?


Anybody remember these? Yep. It’s the Envelope of Life! (holy crap! I had no idea they were still doing that! Who knew?!!) And how long has that envelope been in this fridge?


April 4, 1982. That’s my dad’s semi-legible chickenscratch, by the way. Oh, and my last tetanus shot being in 1981? My dad and I were both listed with 1981 as our last tetanus shot, which means that was the year of the Great Hamster Incident, in which hamsters escaped and were captured, but managed to bite (and draw blood) both my dad and me.

That coincides with end of our hamster ownership. Ahem.

Anyhoo, the date on that Envelope of Life being in 1982 means that this fridge is at least 26 years old. Probably closer to 30. We’re talking about what to do replacement wise and when. We’ve talked about the Sears scratch-and-dent on Rt. 50 which has a lot of potential. We’re also talking about getting an upright or chest freezer rather than another traditional refrigerator. However, I didn’t have any other blog fodder, so this is what you get today.

I’ll try for crafty content tomorrow. And yes, I have had a teatnus shot since 1981. Two, actually!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you know what? You can STILL use it once it's not functioning. Unplug it. Scour it, Use it to store your yarn in. The drawers can hold your notions.
Hey, recycled!

Sarah said...

Ha, I like Dave's idea!

I was going to suggest that you use it as the first exhibit in your Museum of Antiquated Appliances. (We'll have a few to add in the new house!)

I think the scariest thing is that the fridge is older than I am. And it still worked until recently. Really, that's impressive!

Jenn said...

The sad thing is that everyone says that they don't make appliances like they used to, so anything you get probably won't last as long.

My parents had an upright freezer that died and they cleaned it out, now it's used to hold dry goods.

I've never even SEEN an Envelope of Life! But I do know that hamster bites hurt like an SOB. That's why I don't get to pet Skittles. I have the distinct feeling she would chew my arm off and not think twice about it.

I would go the chest freezer route, we have a small one that unfortunately has to live in our living room until we can finally redo the kitchen. At this rate, that will be in, oh, 2010.

Jess said...

Our fridge just died. And we lost ALL of our food. I don't know how I didn't notice it was gone until I went to pull some frozen chicken out of the freezer and it was all thawed. Warm even. SIGH. Right after grocery shopping too.
So, our landlord replaced it. With an older fridge. We are praying it lasts until our lease is up at least.
I have always had good luck with the scratch and dent on 50. I'd say go for it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Celtic Queen said...

We too are losing our "garage" fridge. I'm waffling between upright freezer and a regular fridge. I think it's because we use it to keep extra milk, fruit, hot dogs. If only we could get a large fridge upstairs.