Monday, April 14, 2008

Wicker and Mondays

What do they have in common? I’m not a big fan of either one.

When I was a kid and we bought our summer home at Lake Erie, it was full of wicker furniture. I never really liked any of it and was certainly not sad to see it scatter to the winds when we built the new place.

Most of the reason is just that the aesthetics of wicker just don’t appeal to me. But then something like this


Does something like this


It was recoverable … two slippery yarns that like to snag when you look at them crooked, but that was 20 minutes I would have preferred to use doing something else.

(no harm, no foul in the end)

As far as Mondays go, I spend my Mondays wrangling information. The most important information is the 30 ballots that are due to me each Monday. At 6:10 pm today, I went to wrangle what I had at that point and remind the stragglers. I had 11 ballots. I usually am in the low-to-mid 20s.

That’s when it dawned on me that my usual (scary) volume of incoming email was lower than normal all day.

I hadn’t gotten a single ballot through our crappy website.

As of 11 pm Monday night, I only have 18 ballots. Let’s hope I get a flood in the morning. Because this really sucks.

I’m cranking along on the Brooks Farm vest. With a little luck, I may have it done this week. Which would be awesome, but I’m not counting on it. The trick is going to be doing the finishing very quickly once I finish knitting the body. Because we all know me and finishing. :)

This is going to be a good mail week. It started today, but I haven’t taken any photos and I’m tired, so perhaps I’ll wrangle a blog post for tomorrow night. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm not a fan of wicker, either, and it's never even done anything to me. I think if it had grabbed my yarn, I would be burying it out in the back yard.

Sarah said...

Whenever I see wicker, I always think of Pier One -- stuff that looks nice from afar, but when you get up close, you see it's not well made at all. Yeah, not a fan.

Can't wait to see what fun stuff comes in your mail this week!

Anonymous said...

We have two wicker chairs which I bought last year -- or was it 2 years ago? -- because I was having people (knitters!) over and needed more seating. They're not the most comfortable but the cats like them, and the kids use the in front of the TV for playing vid games. Glad you were able to save the knitwear!

Molly Bee said...

OMG! That's a nasty looking snarl! I got one of those on the garage door latch. I think I said some naughty words.

Jess said...

Burn the wicker. Set it on fire. What a bad, piece of furniture. Glad not all was lost.

Alison said...

So glad you were able to recover the knitting. Hidden nails are the worst!

I had to stop back to explain... I remember reading here today, but now I can't remember who I jumped from. I suppose I could check through my history, but that would take effort, more effort than explaining that I like to take time every few days to do what I call 'bloghopping'. I head to a couple of my favorite blogs, comment on a post, and read through others' comments. When someone says something that strikes me as witty or clever, or has a brilliant screen name or avatar, I head on over to check out a new blog... it's my way of mingling, hehe.

I've never been a big fan of wicker either, although it has grown on me a bit over the past few years- I still don't own any though...

Happy knitting-
ali