Sunday, October 04, 2009

Mondo Vest

I’ve been on a finishing kick lately, and after a very busy few weeks I feel like I finally have my life back to some semblance of “normal.” Hooray!

So I finished my Mondo Cable Vest. I started it at the very end of August as part of the Bloomin Yarns Knit-A-Long which includes the Mondo Cable Vest, Mondo Cable Pulli and Mondo Cable Cardi. The KAL is still “along-ing” and feel free to jump on the bandwagon if you’re interested. Chic Knits has fantastic patterns!

This vest has a very unique construction. It is cast on provisionally at the shoulder seam, then worked down.


I did fine with the provisional cast-on since I used my favorite trick: Lucy Neatby’s technique (YouTube link) where you crochet your chain directly onto your needle. It’s the only way I can do a crochet chain provisional cast-on and NOT screw it up!


I did screw up the pattern at one point. I misread the pattern and was increasing the fronts too quickly (neckline increases every RS row instead of every other RS row). I was knitting both fronts simultaneously and had to rip them out and start over. But it was just one night’s work down the tubes. Worth it in the end to get a great-fitting sweater!

The yarn I used for this sweater was absolutely fantastic. It will definitely be one of my first considerations for this gauge in the future. It held up perfectly to the limited frogging that I had to do and was a lot of fun to knit with.


As I got down to the every end of the sweater, I started thinking about how I wanted to bind off. The pattern called for a regular bind-off in pattern, but after a quick consult with Cristi, I decided to take her suggestion and use a three-stitch applied I-cord bind off.


It needs a bit of a steaming to sit a little flatter, but all in all I’m very happy with the bind-off and the sweater as a whole!


Mondo Cable Vest
Pattern: Mondo Cable Vest / Shell by Chic Knits
Size: 46” I thought I was (intentionally) knitting a too-small size, but it fits great now
Yarn: Classic Elite Waterlily
Color: Lake
Quantity: 950 yards (9.5 balls)
Source: Bloomin Yarns, McMurray, Pa.
Needles: US 10/6.0mm and US 9/5.5mm from my KA Switch set
Started: 31 August 2009
Finished: 26 September 2009
Mods: Did one more repeat than the pattern called for to add a little length. Did a 3-stitch applied I-cord bind off instead of the pattern-dictated in-pattern bind off.

Special thanks to both Michelle at Bloomin Yarns and WeirdyPants for help with the modeled photos for this finished vest. I appreciate your help!


Zonda said...

Gorgeous blue color! Looks great on you!

Trillian42 said...

Super cute! And I didn't know that was a Lucy Neatby thing - that's how I always do my provisional cast-ons.

Heather said...

great sweater. now that I have done that applied I-cord on my tulip, I love it! such a clean finish. I can't decide if I want the vest or the cardi... such decisions! thanks for the inspiration.

Bezzie said...

Love it!!

Sarah said...

It looks great! I'm always happy to see a variegated/semisolid yarn that behaves when knit up. I'm adding this one to my list of good ones!

turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh love the close ups of the yarn! It's got so much depth to it! I love it even more!

Jenn said...

It looks wonderful! I so want to make one of the mondo cable sweaters. Not sure which. You did a great job, and i love the bind off!