Monday, December 31, 2012

Color Affection

Like 7,000 of my other fellow knitters, I decided earlier this year that I wanted to knit a Color Affection shawl.

 I cast on this project with my just-purchased Signature needles and some stash Sanguine Gryphon Eidos while I was at Maryland Sheep & Wool back in May. It was a simple thing to get going, and I flew through the first two sections of this knit.

CAcenter.jpg

The second color was some ShiBui Stacatto, a very nice yarn with a tight twist and a bit of sheen from its 30% silk content. I was still chugging along, and I was still happy.

Then, I added some Bugga! as my third color. And I hated it. There was no contrast, the lighter blue just blended. I’ve since seen lots (and lots!) of Color Affections with little to no contrast, but they really don’t appeal to me at all. So I’m very glad that I ripped and re-started with this wonderful Serenity 20 in Midnight Blue.

CA2colortip.jpg

Knitting garter stitch is one of my favorite things. I can zip right along and be productive while I’m doing a myriad of other things. Reading, watching sports on TV, pretty much anything. It’s very soothing to me, and I love it.

CA3colortip.jpg

The shape of this shawl isn’t my favorite, and I won’t knit another one. But I’ll probably (eventually) do another knit from this same designer. Hooray for garter stitch!

CAwingspan.jpg

Color Affection 

Pattern: Color Affection by Veera Välimäki 
Yarn/Color #1: Sanguine Gryphon Eidos/Euthydemus 
Yarn/Color #2: Shibui Stacatto/Rain 
Yarn/Color #3: Zen Yarn Garden Serenity 20/Midnight Blue 
Quantity: 1 skein each. Had maybe 2-3 yards of leftovers of the Stacatto, plenty of yarns 1 and 3. 
Needles: US 6/4.0mm from Signature Needle Arts 
Started: 5 May 2012 
Finished: 29 July 2012 
Mods: Ignored suggested border width. Knit until I was ready to be done That took longer than normal because I loved the Serenity 20 so much.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I still have to cast on for my Color Affection -- I bought the yarn at MDSW and already wound it; I just have to cast on!

If you really like garter stitch, I'd recommend Veera's Stripe Study. Lost of garter, easy to memorize, and you can make it as big as you want.

~RaenWa~ said...

Your Color Affection is beautiful. I have had the pattern for awhile & still have yet to cast it on. Garter is not my favorite knitting but the shawl is just such a wonderful piece I still want to knit it anyways.

Mrs. said...

I use mine as a super warm scarf, wear it ALL the time as a scarf hardly EVER as a shawl.