Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Flat FO #2: PPPPineapple quilt

You have seen it in many stages along the way. I’ve sworn over it, been impressed by the quilting, and used it for a binding demo on this here blog.

It’s finally finished.

Meet the Positively Painful Patriotic Pineapple.

Shortly after moving out here, mom and I decided to both take a Pineapple quilt class at Quilted Memories in Dunkirk, N.Y. (Mary, the owner, is almost certainly going out of business. This is extremely sad news).

P4c.jpg
Quilting motif that’s on all of the Pineapple blocks. When you’re computer-guided, it’s perfect every time!

I completely enjoyed my classmates, but discovered quickly that having to make a gross of sub-cuts (literally 144) on every stinking round of these blocks simply wasn’t for me.

P4b.jpg
The borders were also computer-guided and are perfect. Chevrons in the red, diamonds in the white and stars in the blue

But I was really glad to be finished piecing this top when that finally happened.

P4a.jpg
More detail of the quilting, as it’s more easily seen on the back. Still not great photos of the stars, but they’re there.

I had Mary from Quilted Memories do the quilting on her Gammill longarm machine. I think she did a simply fabulous job.

P4back.jpg

I went online and purchased a quilt backing-width fabric. I’d had enough grief piecing the front, I wasn’t about to piece the back!

P4d.jpg
More detail shots of the back

I recently took this quilt in to The Quilt Company to show it off a little bit, after I finally finished whipstitching the binding down. The fabulous Debi (store manager) thinks I should enter it in the Butler show this October.

P4label.jpg
Something blue bled like a sonofabitch when I washed this thing. I think it was the backing, but I can’t prove it.

What do you think?

P4front.jpg

I’m just thrilled it’s finished.

9 comments:

Trillian42 said...

It may have made you crazy, but it's absolutely gorgeous!

Jenn said...

I think that it was worth it in the end! :)

Heather said...

wow!

Bezzie said...

Oh freakin' wow! I love the quilting on it too!

Sarah said...

It's absolutely spectacular! (But I'll admit it still makes me a bit dizzy!)

turtlegirl76 said...

Oh wow. That's GORGEOUS! Well worth the pain. Now, tell me about that custom label? It's awesome!

Donna Lee said...

That is amazing. Enter it. Visually it's interesting and the crafting is so precise. I'm in awe of all the cuts and piecing it must have taken. What a good job.

Jen said...

What a beautiful quilt! The quilting is amazing!

Zonda said...

Love it! It's so colorful and the pineapple blocks really pop! You are making me want to quilt now! Yikes!