Thursday, September 02, 2010

Class Scarf

The final project that I did during class last week (geez, that was only last week? I feel like it was a lifetime ago!) was my scarf project.

ClassScarf1.jpg

When I went yarn/thread shopping for my scarf, I knew I wanted wool. A scarf, to me, is not decorative. It’s for warmth. Cotton is pretty, wool is warm.

Tom pointed me in the direction of the sock yarn section. Ironic, huh? I chose Knit One, Crochet Too’s “Crock-o-Dye” yarn as the warp. 65% superwash wool, 20% nylon, 15% silk. I even managed to get some warp stripes. Totally unplanned, but equally awesome.

ClassScarf2.jpg

For the weft, I picked another sock yarn, Panda Superwash, in the Neptune colorway. 51% bamboo, 39% superwash wool, 10% nylon. It’s splitty as all hell, so I wouldn’t chose it for most knitting applications, but it was great for this project.

ClassScarf3.jpg

My mother loves to call me “Gadget Girl,” and there was one true gadget that I felt I needed to bring home, a fringe twister.

ScarfFringe.jpg

There is something about a twisted fringe that just screams “weaving” to me. I blame Dave Daniels and his fabulous blog for this association. (and I decided to leave the fringe on the sampler as-is. I’ll trim it down when I’m through toting it all around the ‘Burgh for show and tell)

Our scarf projects were a major demo for finishing information. There’s definitely some info that will transfer to my knitting and quilting projects as well, but bottom line I’m very happy with my scarf.

ClassScarf4.jpg

In fact, I liked it so much I now have another woven scarf that’s completely finished. Now to do the maths for my next project to jump onto the loom!

5 comments:

turtlegirl76 said...

SO PRETTY! There's so much visual interest with that scarf. I love it!

Sarah said...

Very nice! I'm a sucker for twisted fringe, too, so I love how you finished this.

Donna Lee said...

That is gorgeous! I am a fan of the twisted fringe, too. It just finishes off the scarf.

Ally Jay said...

Wow that scarf is truly stunning

Dave Daniels said...

That turned out beautifully! And great job on the fringe, too.