Thursday, September 09, 2010

Farmhouse Scarf

As I mentioned in last week’s WiP Wednesday post, I got home from The Mannings and was nearly desperate to get something on my very own loom. I needed to do the whole project process by myself, start to finish, to lock the info into my brain.

I started with a skein of Fannie’s Fingering Weight in Old Glory. It was a sock yarn skein I’d admired for a very long time. Did the same 3 yard warp length that I’d one for my class scarf, but when I had 120 ends measured (10” on-loom width), I looked at the cake of yarn I had left and decided “what the hell.”

I came a lot closer than I really should have to using the entire skein, but what the heck. I have a wide scarf that used the vast majority of the skein. I think that’s a win.

FarmhouseScarfFlat.jpg

The varying chunks of darker color that you can see come primarily from the weft. I chose two skeins of JoJoLand Melody superwash sock yarn, which is a very subtle self-stripe in colors that complimented the Old Glory nicely.

FarmhouseFabric.jpg

In the darker chunks of fabric, that’s where the warp was more of a dominant red. Once the loom was warped, this scarf flew by. I tied the knots for the fringe at knit night a mere 72 hours after measuring the warp.

FarmhouseFringe.jpg

There was a minor fringe fail, which is why this scarf does not have a twisted fringe. I started weaving closer to the front edge of the warp than I thought. Once I trimmed the fringe to the longest possible even length, there wasn’t enough length to twist. So it’s au naturel.

Scarf was wet-finished with the first dollop out of my lifetime supply of Orvus Paste, then a bit of hair conditioner in the rinse. Spun out in the washer and air dryed on a rack at the bottom of my driveway. Took about 10 minutes to dry, since it was about 90 degrees outside at the end of last week.

At the end of the day, I learned stuff and still came away with something useful. Isn’t that what a first solo project should do?

FarmhouseHanging.jpg
Please pardon my skanky lightpost. Someday, I will re-paint that thing.

Farmhouse Scarf

Warp: Fannie’s Fingering Weight in Old Glory from Farmhouse Yarns
EPI: 12
Width on loom: 12”
Weft: Jojoland Melody
Pattern: plain tabby
Warp measured: 29 August 2010
Loom Warped: 30 August 2010
Weaving finished: 1 September 2010
Project Completed: 2 September 2010

I’m still figuring out what details should go in the “recap” for my weaving projects. Yell if you have questions!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I don't understand most of this weaving stuff, but I like what you've been doing!

Donna Lee said...

I have to do the same thing when I learn something new. I have to do the whole project start to finish on my own to firmly set those directions in my brain. It's amazing how fast I lose things in there!

The scarf is really pretty. Almost patriotic in it's red white and blue.

turtlegirl76 said...

You're making me so jealous! It's beautiful. I'm envying all the possibilities you have to use up your sock yarn stash.

Zonda said...

Beautiful is right! WTG on your first solo project

Molly Bee said...

GORGEOUS! (Wanders off muttering...I do not need a new hobby...I do not need a new hobby...)

LaurieG said...

I'm looking for the love button!! LOVE it! (I even like the lamp post w/ it's 'aged patina' :D)