Sunday, August 19, 2007

Felting Frenzy

It has been a busy weekend here at chez DPUTiger/North Branch. I picked up the Hubster at his work on Friday and we drove to the Lake. We were actually staying at a cottage down the street because “our” house was full of relatives in honor of the big party my parents throw every summer at the local country club.

It’s a kick-ass cottage, but I forgot to take some exterior shots. I’ll try to do that tomorrow and will post … eventually.

Anyhow, we were displaced for most of the weekend, but are back in the “normal” home tonight. Why are we still up here on a Sunday night at 11:30? Because the Hubster kind of has the day off tomorrow. He’s required to go to Kennywood, but doesn’t have to go to the office. We’re going to go to Kennywood straight from here. He’s never been before, so it’s a major bummer that it’s supposed to thunderstorm all day.

Anyhow, we had a happy intersection of things going on today. A top-load washing machine, the Hubster’s huge ski feet and several objects in need of felting were all in the same house. Here’s the result:

From top to bottom, it’s my Booga Bag, three pairs of Fuzzy Feet (green and blue are gifts, gray is for the Hubster) and a pair of Slipper Socks for yours truly. All of these things have been knitted since at least February. It feels really good to have them all drying overnight on the front porch YAY!

In slightly sadder news, I frogged my “Shop Till You Drop” bag tonight. I was cruising along on the damn thing and kept winding up with the incorrect number of stitches at the end of the round (should have “last three” on the knit side, “last one” on the purl side).

Actually, let me back up a bit. The thing had been languishing in the bottom of my knitting bag. Driving up and down I-79 with me. And on this rainy Sunday, I really, REALLY wanted to make some hay on this thing. And I couldn’t find the pattern.

So I would like to give a public commendation to LanaKnits. I emailed their info address asking for help. I provided links to where the project had appeared here and she was kind enough to send over a PDF of the pattern. I was back in business! Yay!

Anyhow, after doing about six more rounds, I still wasn’t finishing up with the correct number of stitches at the end of either round consistently, so I counted. On the small size, I should have either 81 or 83 stitches for the larger size, either 121 or 123. I had something in between.

So I counted my cast on stitches. I should have cast on either 100 or 150 stitches. How many had I cast on? 125. CRAP!!! I put it down for about three hours and while at dinner with Hubster made the decision. It had to be frogged. I had a second wound skein with me and started over with that, and got cast on tonight around the felting party.

Time to wrap this up and get to bed. I’m sleeping less like a vampire and more like a human, so progress is being made. Happy Monday! :)


SJ said...

Hooray for felting!

Sorry the weather is not cooperating for Kennywood, although it seems pretty typical -- I think it just about always rained for our Kennywood day when I was in middle/high school.

Yvonne said...

Hooray! Felting is fun.