Friday, August 10, 2007

Quilty Thursday: Pineapple Sweatshop Edition

If I’m going to do knitty WiP it Wednesday, then I should do quilty Thursdays, right? Let’s give it a shot and see how it works, OK?

Today was another really rainy day at chez DPUTiger/North Branch. Since mom and I both have MEGA Pineapple homework, we turned the dining room table at the Lake into Sweatshop Central.


That’s mom mugging for the camera. She refuses to bust out the fabulous used Bernina 160 that I forced encouraged her to buy about 18 months ago. Instead, I get to cringe every time the Bernette she’s using thunks over a seam intersection.

This quilt is gonna be cool, but I can tell you right now that I will probably never make another one. I’m making a queen size quilt, which means 30 blocks. Which means that for each round of strips, first you have to sub-cut 120 pieces which you will sew in the appropriate spots on the block. Then, you get make 120 sub-cuts on the block before you can enter the next level of hell sew the next round on. Did I mention that my block has 12 rounds? Yeah. I don’t even want to think about maybe trying to do the math, but I know there’s something gross about it (pun intended).

We took a break to go to an early dinner with my brother and sis-in-law. Why an early dinner? TODAY WAS HALLOWEEN!!!


What, you didn’t know that today was Halloween? Well, maybe that’s just because it was only here at VBP. We’re a summer community, so people like to do stuff like this for the kids.

Did I say kids? The group showed up at about 8 pm. I don’t know when I have seen a feeding frenzy like this one


Mom got a big box with 50 snack-size bags of various chips. You know the one. We were down to three bags of Fritos within about 90 seconds. It was amazing.

So we went back to the sweatshop for a little bit, but both of us hit the wall on that pretty quickly. I’m half a round past where this photo was taken


I reeeeally want to finish the round of white that I’m halfway through before I go to bed. But I’m hitting the wall pretty hard.

When I wake up in the morning, I need to figure out when I am going to head back down to the ‘Burgh tomorrow. There’s a sale going on at Bloomin’ Yarns that I want to hit, and tomorrow would be an easier day to deal with it than Saturday, but it might have to be when they first open on Saturday morning.

Mom and I finished the day by watching Letters from Iwo Jima. We watched Flags of our Fathers a week or two ago, so it was nice to “finish the set” as it were. We’re both history geeks, and I’m a huge WWII geek, so we both enjoyed the movies.

Oh, and Iwo Jima is in Japanese and subtitled, so I got three stripes finished on the Steelers Scarf, since it was the only thing I could work on without looking at all.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I just watched "Flags of Our Fathers" last weekend, and I'm due to get "Letters from Iwo Jima" from Netflix today. I guess I won't be able to work on the wedding shawl while I watch it -- mindless stockinette it is!

mehitabel said...

I did a Pineapple quilt some years back, except that my strips were 1.5 inches cut size. It's in green, yellow, and black, and does sound kind of awful-but it came out really pretty. They are definitely worth all the sweat, toil, bloodstains, and tears that you'll put into them--but it takes a year or two of distance!